Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Embracing Experientialism and Quaker Mysticism

Hello! My name is Erika, and though I am not a Quaker presently, I have started attending the Cloud Quaker's weekly worship in 2021. My religious upbringing was Catholic, but having been raised by Peace Corps volunteers who pulled me into the Green Party, I have felt that Quakers may offer a spiritual experience that speaks to me more than any other religious ceremonies I've experienced. Quakers are the peacemakers, in my mind, as the known conscientious war objectors. I have very much enjoyed our Sunday evening silent worship, followed by group conversation.

In our recent weekly meeting, members discussed how the attempted insurrection of white supremacists on the Capitol is unsettling not only from observing it on the news, but for those who have small factions closer to home that raise a ruckus. We stand together and pray that the power of love will triumph over love of power. We all have a desire to control a situation, but must extend our arms towards goodness and allow the collective power of good to take control. It's hard to watch such hate coming from fellow humans towards other humans. However, I believe it's better to see it in the open, rather than it existing passively, and having a negative impact behind the scenes. With it in the open, people who are choosing light over darkness can help to overcome their hate. I think Americans may finally be on a good path to make a better society. 

Tonight's discussion also included conversation about Experientialism and Mysticism - which I must admit some ignorance of. However, several resources were provided for those, like me, who would like to learn more:

http://www.whatcanstthousay.org/

https://cac.org/like-knows-like-2019-12-23/

From the above, I like this line, "Exclusion might be described as the core sin. Don’t waste any time rejecting, eliminating, or punishing anyone or anything else. We are all living en Christo, so everything belongs, including you." 

Barbara referenced a former Catholic priest, turned Episcopalian priest, named Matthew Fox (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Fox_(priest). Interesting stuff! Steven also suggested reading The Perennial Philosophy by Aldous Huxley (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Perennial_Philosophy). Based on the first line of the wiki, seems like something one should read if they want to know more about mysticism!    

I encourage your comments, so we can keep a dialogue going outside the meetings! Also, anyone who might like to post a blog can reach out to Tom or myself (reschafer@gmail.com). 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erika. I just want to comment that Matthew Fox became an Episcopalian priest after being excommunicated by the Catholic Church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara, corrected! Also, feel free to email me the two poems you shared recently, if you'd like them posted.

      Delete

Peace in the New Year

I put my feeling about illuminaria (below) here , but the most important thing to say is, it's not really Quakerly, nor is it related to...